“From the moment we are born, we are on a journey to our death.
Sometimes the journey is a long one, and others are far too short.
My thoughts have always been that every living thing is here for a reason,
and when that reason has been accomplished, it’s time to move on.
Age plays only a small part in “when it’s our time”.”
MABTR has made our mission to take in and care for as many Bostons as possible, especially those who are terminally ill and need a loving place to spend their final moments. Our hospice program provides exactly that – a home with a good quality of life for dogs whose time is limited. We believe that terminally ill Bostons who appear to be pain-free and desiring to live should be given the opportunity to do so in a loving environment for however long they have left.
Scroll down to see those precious lives that are in our hospice program today
HOSPICE HOMES NEEDED – We are always looking for families who would be interested in taking in hospice dogs as forever fosters. for more information please call 402-510-1346 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. THANKS
For dogs in hospice care, MABTR provides the following:
- Food and a crate
- Payment for all costs. This includes all medical costs as well as supplies needed for the dog
If you cannot provide hospice care but would like to help, you can sponsor a Boston in hospice by
- Donating to the hospice fund
- Donating items such as crates, bedding, steps, baby gates, medication, etc.
If you are interested, please fill out our foster application. We will be in contact with you within 72 hours of receipt.
Dogs In Hospice Care
Dottie‘s owner passed away leaving her with family that felt they could not care for her. She arrived in our program September 2016 at the age of 6 years old. Within 24 hours it was obvious that Dottie was not well struggling with breathing and fainting. After a run to the emergency room we were informed that Dottie had a 5 out of 6 grade heart murmur. Dottie will soon be in heart failure so for now we are keeping her comfortable and happy. She is a love bug who has great loyality to her foster family and deserves only love in return. -Jami in CO
Mimi was picked up as a stray in September 2016 at the age of 9 years old. Due to potential health concerns she was given to MABTR who then diagnosed her with cushings. Mimi is a lively little girl that will receive only the best love. -Deb in CO
Bailey was dropped off at a vet clinic in Feb 2016 to be put down at the age of 10 years old as a result of the owners not able to afford her medication for diabetes. She was surrendered over to the clinic who reached out to MABTR for help. She soon diagnosed with liver disease and cushings as well. Bailey loves life and so we will give her the opportunity to live it in a happy home. -Kristin in MN
Edward was dropped off at a shelter at the age of 8 years old in Jan 2016 as a result of his owners not being able to afford his care any more. Edward’s skin and coat was of concern which resulted in multiple tests to confirm low thyroid as well as cushings.
Edward is a happy little guy that one would never know he was sick. We will keep him comfortable in the meantime. -Marlana in Co
Pumpkin was tossed out of a car in Oct 2015 at the estimated age of 7 years. She was diagnosed with severe allergies that took months to get under control with very expensive medication. It was not til she was off predison for the allergies did her condition of her back surface keeping Pumpkin in pain. Pumpkin has multiple vertibras that are compacted and will evidently pinch her nerves leaving her with no feeling.
Pumpkin is full love and getting great care pain free. -Pam in MO
Jack came into rescue as stray in July 2014 after being diagnosed with metastatic cancer (cancer that has spread throughout the body).When getting neutered that is when the cancer cells were found. Jack is estimated to be only 3 years old. Eventually the cancer will overcome Jack’s organs. In the meantime he is happy and playful with his other boston friends. -Cindi of MO
Charles was found as a stray in April 2011 and estimated to be 7 years old then. He was in foster care for several months due to an injured back which soon was diagnosed to be Degenerative Disk Disease. This means that he will eventually lose the use of his back legs. He was fairly weak when he came into our care but with daily walks he started to regain some strength. He only has five molars in his entire mouth. In the summer we spend a lot of time at the lakes fishing and swimming. Charles loves to go with and even has his own life jacket. He can swim very well. Also, every fish we catch, he has to sniff and kiss it before we put it back into the water. Every single person who meets Charles instantly falls in love with him. Becoming a Hospice family for him was the best decision we have ever made. -Zach of MN
R.I.P. – Those that have gone to doggie heaven after a good fight
…in another time, in a beautiful place you will see them again
- Dibbs battled liver disease and cushings – May 2007 to June 2016
- Pearl battled kidney failure – April 2005 to June 2016
- Bella battled cancer – Dec 2004 to April 2016
- Daisy – battled Inflammatory Bowel Disease & Gastrointestinal Disease – July 2006 to Feb 2016
- Lolly battled eye issues, blind and deaf – Oct 2002 to Feb 2016
- Jenny battled cushings – Nov 2005 to Feb 2016
- Flip battled cancer – Dec 2012 to Dec 2015
- Gemma battled cancer of the mouth – July 2009 to Dec 2015
- Rozie battled heart disease and fluid in her lungs – August 2005 to Oct 2015
- Tucker battled severe pulmonic valve stenosis (inoperable heart defects) – July 2014 to Sept 2015
- Chief battled inoperable herneacted disk – March 2009 to May 2015
- Missy battled kidney failure – July 2002 to April 2015
- Otis battled metastatic carcinoma of the lymph nodes – Sept 2005 to March 2015
- Betsy battled cushings and sever IBS – March 2005 to March 2015
- Missy battled severe heart disease – Aug 2003 to Jany 2015
- Violet battled severe heart disease – June 2008 to Nov 2013
- Dandy battled colon cancer – Oct 2001 to June 2013
- Bo battled jaw cancer – June 2003 to June 2012